Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Mentally Draining Long Day

As I recline in my new chair and get ready for game 3 of the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs, I figured I'd tell you about my first day of treatment. First off the good news is only 2 chemo treatments and 32 Radiation treatments to go! July 16th will be here before I know it.

All-in-all, it was not as bad as I had envisioned it would be. I did screw up and forgot to take two steroid pills last night which kind of started freakin' me out a bit. Treatment started at about 8:30am and didn't get home till about 4:30pm AND I forgot my Ativan "jitter drug" to boot.

The chemo treatment started with 2 1/2 hours of "fluids" to hydrate me followed by a Mannitol push for about 10 minutes (again a diuretic to make sure you pee it all out). The actual chemo drug (Cisplatin) took about 1 1/2 hours. Then they did a manual push of twice as much Mannitol and that was when I had a little bit of an issue with my vein burning and getting tight and numb. We had to make an adjustment or two and put a hot compress on my needle site and vein and added a little saline mix to minimize the burn and after about 30 minutes, got it all in. The final chemo treatment involved another litre of "fluids" to continue the hydration process for another 2 1/2 hours.

From the chemo treatment, I walked down to the radiation people where I waited for a few minutes to get my "experimental" drug injection (that hopefully will minimize the Mucositis side-effect). It was now off to the "Nuc" room where I donned my cool looking mesh mask that bolts me to the radiation table and they fired away at my neck/throat area for about 10 to 15 minutes to end my day.

So far so good...no nausea (knock on wood), just a headache which I chalk up to stress of a long first day without my jitters drug. Now I know what it's all about and really only have to deal with this 2 more times every 3 weeks, other than that it's gonna be probably a 30 minute visit to the hospital for quick radiation treatments at a set time of 8:15am M-F and maybe an extra 10 minutes for blood work every Thursday. Plus when it's all over, I'll end up with a cool Goalie mask.

Well looks like Pittsburgh went up 1-0 but Detroit responded with 2 unanswered with 6 minutes to go in the 1st. Gonna watch the hockey game now and being a Flyer's fan, and as much as I normally join the "Crosby sucks" chants when attending the games, I just don't want Detroit to win the cup again...Go Pens.

Oh, and one more thing...I can't thank my wife enough for taking a day off without pay and hangin' with me through my first ordeal. Love you Dana!

2 comments:

  1. Good thing you got that nice, new, compfy chair to recline in after days like that! Glad to hear day 1 is in the history books. Keep up the good work! - Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Freddie,
    Glad to hear that day 1 wasn't as bad as you had expected and is one day closer to the end. Tim and I have been thinking of you and wishing you a day that keeps your spirits high, your laughter loud, and your courageous fight simple...but most of all, whether a good day/or not so good..you are thought of everyday by so many with loads of love to embrace.. we are here when you need us..anytime. We love you Fred..
    KICK SOME BUTT/ASS as Tim would say. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete