Looking back, we questioned the amount of medications I was on and/or perhaps for the amount of time I was on them. I have completely stopped some, and in the process of weening myself off of others as we speak. Up until just a few days ago, I was sleeping excessively (16 to 18 hours a day) and still only taking my liquid nourishment through the feeding tube.
The result of the radiation has been a build up of thick mucous in my throat that is absolutely horrible and disgusting and is the cause of most of my problems. I am now slowly beginning to swallow water and over the past two days, have managed to swallow some jello and pudding. My throat is still very sore and swollen and because of that and the fact that I had not used my swallowing function at all for almost 4 weeks, it is very difficult to perform these functions at this time. They are telling me that it is crucial to attempt this every day to re-train these muscles.
I have had a few follow-ups with the team of doctors and will be seeing most again tomorrow. We have a PET Scan scheduled for either the last week of September or the first week of October. This test will be the first to determine if there are any remaining signs of cancer. There is also a chance that I will need to have a "precautionary" surgery where they remove the lymph nodes in the neck to further assure the elimination of any remaining cancer. It basically is down to quite a bit more healing, faith in the success of what has been done so far and your continued prayers.
As soon as I can carry on a conversation more than a minute or two (see below or flyer attached), I am looking forward to talking to all of you to personally thank you for your support. But most of all, I want to take a moment to say I could have never have made it to this point without the help & sacrifices of my loving wife & kids and my mom & dad! I love you guys more than you'll ever know.
Finally, I was contacted by Steph from the radio station and they have arranged a fundraiser for the St. Luke's Head & Neck Cancer Department this coming Sunday from noon to 5pm at the Outback Steakhouse just of Route 33 in Bethlehem Township. 20% of all the proceeds will be donated on my behalf. The Hawk will be there from noon to 5 AND my good friends from the Lou Franco Project have been gracious enough to donate there amazing musical talents and will be performing during that time as well. I am most definitely planning on being in attendance so use this as your opportunity to catch up! Hope to see you there!
Sorry I missed the fund raiser..Would have been fun . We here at the Garrison house are very happy to here you are feeling better. We will continue praying for all you guys...BTW Dana how is your foot? are you running yet?
ReplyDeleteRenee, Ted and the kids
Hey Fred. Great to hear you're starting to feel better. I think of you often and keep you and your family in my prayers. Stay strong! I look forward to seeing you again... soon! Diane
ReplyDeleteHi Freddy, Glad to see you are well enough to write (Dana did a great job!) and continue on the road of health. Healing your body will take time and in the end when you have passed through the tunnel of darkness, you will be "beaming" bright. Tim & I are out of town for your fund-raiser, going to Atlanta for Jamie's graduation.. You are in our thoughts and prayers as always, and we CAN'T wait to see you!! Gear-up for Neph-Fest and I will be providing Jell-o shots, those slippery suckers will slide down with no problem. Take Care and hugs/smooches to you and yours!!! We love you Fred! Lisa&Timmy
ReplyDelete